Here We Are Again

Dear Mackenzie,

Yesterday, I had a 4 year old, a 3 year old, and a 9.5 month old. Then this morning, I woke up, and I now have a 5 year old. 5 years. Something about 5 years that takes my breath away.


Awhile ago, I asked you if you could stay 4 just a little bit longer, you said no. You are excited to be 5. And I understand why. 5 means you're just a few more months away from kindergarten. It also means you're a year away from being allowed to have bubble gum. You also asked to have your ears pierced when you turn 5. It sounds like 5 will be a big year. You know what though? 4 was a great year too. 


A few months after you turned 4, you patiently waited and waited and waited until Alastair finally arrived. (Believe me, we all waited!) Instantly, you somehow knew that your big sister role suddenly became double the responsibility. Thank you for never complaining when I ask you to grab me a diaper, or keep Alastair entertained, or playing with your sister while I tend to your brother. 


You've always loved to sing and dance. So this year, we decided to put you in a musical theater class. Your first role was a rag doll for a Christmas play. Each week you kept your moves a secret for the big reveal at the performance. You love being on stage and I hope your love for music will continue as you grow. 


This past fall, after many lessons, you mastered swimming! You can now swim across the pool front crawling and on your back. You can dive (80% of the time) and you can swim through big waves. All on your own. Puddle jumpers no more! 


This past year, you've learned to write your name, spell mommy, daddy, Po Po, Bree, and Al. You learned to add. You have memorized lines from most kids movies on Netflix. You can sing songs from beginning to end without missing a beat. You color inside the lines. And you have started drawing people with real features (eyes, nose, mouth, hair, body, arms, and legs). You can ride your bike with training wheels. You are fairly certain you will marry Alastair when you grow up. You also said you'd marry Austin and Billy, because they asked and you said yes. Caiden is still your best friend after all these years. You are convinced Santa and the tooth fairy are real ("Tristan put his tooth under his pillow and he got money! The tooth fairy must be real!). You don't understand why people would stop talking to each other ever ("if they are mad, you just need to say you are sorry and say nice words. I can talk to them for you."). You are just a lovely big hearted girl that everyone loves.


The other day, a couple of us went to Sunshine Hills park to play. One of the kids went on the monkey bars and swung across swiftly. She was the same age as you. I laughed and told her mom that you weren't able to do that yet. And that you most likely wouldn't be able to. I insisted that it'd take you months, if not another year to swing across like that.
Next thing I knew, after a few tries, you flew through those monkey bars like a champ. 
You sure proved me wrong baby girl. It wasn't the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last. You are so much more than I sometimes limit you to be. 


I hope 5 is everything you imagine it to be. I hope you know that I don't ever mean to treat you older than you are. Except I do, because you are amazing. I hope you know that when I am frustrated, it's not because you are not enough. I hope one day, you will understand that you are the first, so we are learning as we go with you. You are paving the way for your sister and brother. You are a leader in the gentlest ways. And I hope your daddy and I made the right choices, like kindergarten. It took us months to make a decision. I have no doubt you will do well wherever you go. But I think we worry anyway. That's what happens when you are a parent.
Thank you for teaching me that tiny humans are humans too. I hope you will always question us and remind us that we are here to guide, not demand. I love you Mackenzie, you are growing up to be more than I ever hoped you would be. Here's to being 5!

love, mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!