Dear Fraser Health

Saw a post today in one of our local groups that Fraser Health is shutting down the Baby Daze program in September across the lower mainland. This program is dear to my heart, and so, I wrote an email to pcqoffice@fraserhealth.ca:

"It has come to my attention recently that Fraser Health is undergoing some restructuring and the Baby Daze program that is currently running out of all Public Health offices is being phased out starting September.

Although I have not accessed this program since I first went 6 years ago with our first baby, having heard this news was certainly disappointing.

You see, 6 years ago, under encouragement from one of the Public Health nurses in North Delta, I took my then 10-day old daughter to Baby Daze. I was tired, had no make up, and was scared of what was ahead of me. We went around and introduced ourselves. The babies there ranged anywhere between 0-6 months. All the moms (and a couple dads!) have the same bewildered look on their faces. I knew I had found my tribe. 

I religiously went to Baby Daze once a week. Topics ranged anywhere from nutrition to sleep to first aid. Every week was informative (Do you think I knew the nursery rhyme "the moon is round, as round as can be" before Baby Daze?) One week, our nurse facilitated a topic of "what was the most unexpected of parenthood?" Answers ranged anywhere from breastfeeding woes, to sleep, to our changing bodies, to mood swings. We were in this together. We had an unspoken understanding of what we were all going through. We celebrated when one baby learned to sleep through the night or gained another pound. And we never got tired of each other's questions about food, or naps, or teething or poops. 

6 years later, here we are. We are a group of 15-20 families who continue to see each other often. The moms go out once a month to have a drink (ok, maybe 2 drinks). The dads organize nights out with hockey games or golf. We have play dates (still!). And we have an annual camping trip that sometimes get as big as 25 kids. Some of us have had our seconds, thirds. We embrace each other like family and love those kids as if they were our own. We have laughed about kids funny moments together, and cried when we got bad news. 

Our group is an amazing group. We have supported each other through the ups and downs. There's not one year I am not thankful for the parents I've met through Baby Daze. Please reference here for my 2015 and 2016 write ups (there are more in previous years, but this should be enough evidence of what an impact this group has had on our family):

https://randomthoughtsfromamommy.blogspot.ca/2016/01/a-year-in-review-2015.html
https://randomthoughtsfromamommy.blogspot.ca/2016/12/farewell-2016.html

But, enough about me. This letter is about the future. The future parents who are about to miss out on what I have been lucky enough to experience. 

The nurses at Baby Daze are simply amazing. They are always reassuring. Some of them are parents themselves, and having their wisdom was crucial at such an uncertain time of our lives.

I'd like to think that our group is the best group. But the truth is, all groups are the best. Because parenthood can sometimes be a lonely journey. Sure, anyone can form a group elsewhere. But when you are a new parent, and you are lost, you muster just enough energy to go to a weekly meeting to learn something. And while you're there, maybe you will click with one, or maybe a few parents. And maybe, just like our group, those will turn into the most amazing friendships you never dreamed of. I would hate to see parents being robbed of this future. And I'd hate for these kids to miss out on  lifelong friendships. 

Please consider keeping the Baby Daze program running. Not only is it a valuable resource for all new parents, you are making a difference in building parents up, building community, but best of all, you're building hope. 

I look forward to your response. You can contact me at XXX-XXXX.

Thank you,

Carly"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!