Shut the front door! You are Four!

Dear Alastair,

I missed posting last year because of recovery, and this year I was late because life has been hectic with summer vacation. I'm only just over 3 months late. But better late than never right???

So so much has changed since you turned 2. Where do I even begin?



You had preschool today and there was a birthday party. You got a goodie bag with 4 little chocolates in it. Your sisters were so jealous! You didn't even hesitate - you pulled out one aero bar for Bree and one coffee crisp for Mackenzie. You happily ate your kit kat, and the shared your smarties.

And that's you! You are so generous when it comes to people you love. Sometimes, you even share your bacon with me.



These past 2 years, we've seen you grow from saying yes all the time, to knowing your boundaries. You started preschool and was deemed the kid "who can always be found at the snack table". Your best friend ping pong between Aiden at school and Austin.


You went from watching Paw Patrol to watching Sam and Cat with your sisters because they made you. You watched a Dog's Purpose and told me afterwards that before you came into my belly, you were someone else to another family. And that after you die, you will be a kid to someone else again. (Can't disagree with you there kid) You learned how to spell your name through singing (a true Nickel) and you learned your address just after you turned 2. You became friends with Theo the garbage man and even Mason who works at McDonald's. I swear all of Delta know who you are.




You are a joker and a goof, and find ways to make people laugh. Default, of course, are penis jokes. You seem to think peeing in the bush outside instead of the toilet is just the funniest thing (but mommy, they laughed!), you like to shake your bare butt at us, and you can turn the most boring thing into a game. Your laugh is so infectious, that even in the foulest mood, we can't help but laugh with you.



Of course, you are also the dare devil of the household. You fearlessly jump off 5 steps of stairs with no one catching you on the bottom. You like to climb walls (a good gymnast they say, but I call it ridiculous). You learned to ride without training wheels just before you turned 4 and now zip around like no body's business. If there's something dangerous that you shouldn't be doing, you're right in there like a dirty shirt!



You have lots of girlfriends. (Hello Julianna and Lucy and Auntie Zoe!) You told me once that you were going to marry me. And that Auntie Zoe will be your girlfriend at the same time. You talked about taking her on a date to Walmart and McDonald's. But then you drop her like a hot potato whenever Julianna and Lucy are around.




You are unapologetically affectionate. You hugs are real. They are so big, you can actually feel the love pouring from you. You are so very very charming. I don't think I've met a soul who didn't love you and want to pick you up and take you home.



The other night, I yelled at you for something. You looked defeated and said to me, "you don't have to be so angry at me." Alastair, you keep me grounded and in the present. You remind me that parenting isn't about obedience, but about helping you guys be the best kids you can be. If I ever worry too much or get sad about the past, you are right there reminding me that everything is ok right now. That's the gift you keep on giving us - to be present.


I hope 4 is everything you imagine it to be and more. I love you Alastair, to infinity, and beyond.


Comments

  1. Omg that is the most loving blog I have read lately. Thank you for sharing your unapologetically affectionate son! What a gift and shining star!❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!