Week 22 - Being a stepmom

I don't think I'll ever get over how fast they grow.

Today, I'm officially a stepmom to 2 grown up adults. My youngest stepdaughter just turned 18 today. Wow.

There's a little evil part of me that's really relieved that child support is over as of today. After 9 years of sucking up a good part of our pay cheques, it's finally over. I'm a terrible person, I know.

Don't get me wrong though. They deserved every penny. I wouldn't have it any other way but to pay child support. Those kids are great kids. And their mom is a great mom. So I know that money went to good use. She wasn't one of those women that took the money and spent it on herself.

Still...I've been looking forward to this day for a long time.

Of course, there's a big part of me that is sad that they're now grown up. They're supposed to be able to conquer the world and know everything about everything. (Remember when you were 18?!) They talked about ordering a beer a few weeks ago. I'm like, what?! You're barely allowed to drink pop.

I don't know if I've ever talked about being a stepmom on this blog before. So incase I didn't, here we go. I was extremely blessed with 2 amazing girls who treated me like a friend. (Of course, the small age gap between us helped) I was never the evil stepmom (even when I diciplined them), nor did they ever scream "but you're not my mom!", nor did they ever express their hatred towards me. (I sure hope they didn't hate me) Sure, I had my days where I crinched when one of them had sugar all over their hands and wiped it on their pants (yuck!), and I wanted to hide in my room when they would ask me questions non-stop. They are the ones who prepared the way for me to be a good mom. They showed me that even when crap happens in your life, you can still choose to be whatever you want to be. I learned a lot from them (I suppose the expense was justified then!) and can only hope that Mackenzie will be half as awesome as they are.

So note to Mackenzie: you might be in a hurry to grow up in this crazy world of ours, but I'm telling you, slow down. I promise you you can have all the pop you want if you do.

I'm a stepmom to an 18 and a 20-year old, and a mom to a 5-month old girl. Wow.

PS - Mack had one of her shots today. I closed my eyes, covered my ears, and looked away. Mackenzie cried for all of 15 seconds. I think my heart broke more than she hurt. Figured I should jot this down so I don't forget!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!