Top 10 for 2013



As 2013 comes to a close, I sit here reflecting on this year. Things that have happened, lessons I have learned, people I have loved. It has been an eventful year to say the least. Coming up with the top 10 this year required some combing through. Here we are :)

10.) New Job - Being stay at home parents has always been our dream. So when Bryan lost his stay at home job, we were left scrambling trying to figure out what to do next. And while business was steady, we really needed something more concrete earlier this year. I am not sure how it happened (isn't that always the way?), but somehow, the Universe brought me this job. I applied, interviewed, and was hired and working within 2 weeks. It has been an incredible experience being on this side of the table (working I mean). I love being at home and still seeing the girls on my breaks and lunch. It truly has been a blessing! (And my coworkers are awesome peeps too)

9.)

Going to Montreal - that ties in with the new job. When I needed to go for training in Montreal for my new job, we made all the arrangements needed so Bryan could come with the girls. With breastfeeding Bree at the time, we did what we needed. What made it the top 10? I know you guys are getting so tired of me saying this by now, but Bryan was incredible. If there was a daddy of the year (no, of life) award, I am certain he would get it. He would get up, get the girls changed, go for a morning swim, shower, come to my work so I could feed Bree, then take the girls for an activity for the afternoon, all before my day was over. Oh sure, the food there was amazing too (I gained 3 lbs on the trip), but really, this man made it possible.

8.)

Monthly Outings with My Mommies - You guys have made it to the top 10 three years in a row! Seriously, you guys have kept me sane since Mack was born. Tirelessly sharing your stories about sleep, poop, and tantrums. You were my cheerleaders when I needed motivation, and my rock when I needed comfort. Thank you for coming out once a month, even after having 2 babies!

7.)

July 2013 Camping Trip - How could this one not make it on the list?! It was our first attempt at group camping with all the kidlets, and it was AH-MAZING! I'm pretty sure at one point, we had like 20 kids or something ridiculous like that. Between the endless hot dogs, hamburgers, tantrums, sleepless nights, smores, it was an absolutely fantastic experience! Hoping this will be an annual thing and I can't wait because I'm pretty sure we will all have 2 kidlets by then! I'm not sure if there is a cooler big enough for our drinks to keep us sane :)

6.)

Daycare - this one was on last year's list too! Oh Crystal, you have saved our sanity on more than one occasion! You not only took on the task to look after Mack, but you also took in Bree when she was at her worst make strange phase! You are one brave woman and I admire you every time you take them on. I know our kids aren't the easiest, but somehow, you make it look easy! Our kids always somehow come back a little more well behaved and having learned another trick or two. Thank you for giving us peace in our lives during the day when we need it most!

5.)

Mackenzie's second birthday - Can you believe she's still alive? Me neither! If I thought she was a sponge after one, two was a thousand times more. This year, she became a big sister, potty trained, learned to dress herself, and just a load of other things that never cease to amaze me. I love you Mackenzie. I cannot wait to see how you will grow in 2014.

4.)

Going to Hong Kong - When the thought of travelling with a 9-month old and a 2.5 year old first came up, I must admit, I felt a bit...ill. In fact, many disasters happened both before (Mack constipated), during (Mack still constipated/time change), and after the trip (jetlag/more jetlag/oh and more constipation). But you know what? Every bit was worth it. Seeing Mack and Bree with my grandma was absolutely priceless. Seeing them play with their cousins from HK, even with a language barrier, was worth every bit of sanity it might've cost us. Ok, I'm exaggerating about the horror of it all. It was an incredible experience and I'm grateful that we took our 2 girls there.

3.) Postpartum Depression - This is kinda like how when Bryan got diagnosed with diabetes last year and how I felt like it was one of the best things that have ever happened. Look, when Bree was first born, I would have laughed in your face if you told me I had PPD. And when the nurse on the phone told me I could have it up to a year after Bree was born, I didn't believe her. Because how was that possible? Turned out, it was. And you know what? I'm grateful. Grateful to experience the type of depression that people have always talked about. Being in the personal development industry, I thought depression was curable with positive thoughts, with the right environment, and with the right attitude. Turned out, some depression isn't like that! And having PPD educated me so much on the subject. I will NEVER view depression the same again. It taught me about being more aware, and asking for help (please, you knew this lesson was coming!). It's been quite a ride, and I'm grateful for the support along the way. (Yes, a post on this is coming soon)

2.)

Bryanna - when a child is born, they bound to make it to your top 10 of the year. I thought Bree would be a 2012 baby, but as it turned out, she had other plans and came in her own time. I have a post that will be dedicated to her on her birthday. For now, let's just say this: I don't remember a time before Bryanna was here. It was as if she has been with us all along. Much like when Mack was born. And that is motherhood. (Or parenthood for that matter) I love you Bryanna, thank you for stretching my boundaries and teaching me every day how to be a better human being.

1.)

Bryan and I - some of you have noticed that I went off facebook for a bit late November. Some of you know that Bryan and I are going through a rough patch. Regardless of the outcome, Bryan and I have grown and learned more in the past 2 months than we ever thought possible. I am grateful for a husband who has the patience and understanding of umm...a saint! I am grateful for the personal development industry we have been in, because it has propelled us in ways that surprised us both. Most of all, I'm grateful for being on this side of things (the crazy side of relationships), because it's been awhile. And it helped us go back to the basics (oh, how easy it is to forget the basics!), and it's been an experience. 11 years later, there is still more to learn, more to apply. (And yes, a post about us will be coming)

2013 has been a whirlwind year that went by way too fast. 2014 should prove to be interesting. I am 33 now, and you know what they say about 33? Jesus year (a new blog has been dedicated to this)- I can't wait to see what my top 10's are next year this time!

Thank you everyone for making 2013 fantabulous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!