And Here He Is...

I haven't had much time to think about writing because well, juggling 3 kids takes up a lot of time! I'm sitting here with maybe 5 minutes to spare before the baby will need attention again, so I better get to typing quick!

Each pregnancy has been so different. With Mackenzie, I was miserable for the first 22 weeks with morning sickness, and then I felt like I could be pregnant forever! With Bryanna, I was miserable for the entire 39 weeks. I could not wait for her to get out! With this one, I was miserable for the first 20 weeks with morning sickness, and then great for 17 weeks, and then the last 3 weeks...well, let's just say there were some tears.

With it being one of the hottest summers, I could not wait for this baby to get out! Plus the inconvenience of not being able to pick up the girls when I wanted to, or bend down to give them a kiss - I just wanted to be mobile again!

So when my first consistent contractions came I was so excited. We even took one last walk at the beach and took what I thought was the last picture of our family of 4. And then the contractions subsided. I thought, ok, no worries, it'll come again soon. This continued for FIVE MORE DAYS! On the fifth day I was in tears. I went into the doctor's office and with one look, she said, "let's see what we can do to get contractions started today, shall we?" She did a sweep and said, "oh I'd be really surprised if the baby doesn't come by tonight or tomorrow!"

I left the office saying to Bryan, "do you think she just told me that to make me feel better?"

Another bout of consistent contractions came for 5 hours and they stopped again. I went to bed that night completely discouraged. This baby was never coming!

That morning, I woke up at 4 am with a strong contraction. One that I actually had to breathe through. I knew that day would be the day finally! I woke Bryan up to head to the hospital, because well, I didn't want to miss the drugs again!

After settling Bree down (she woke up briefly before we left), we headed to the hospital and got there around 5 am. By the time they checked me, it was 5:45. The nurse promptly said, "oh, she's ready." I alarmingly said, "what do you mean I'm ready?" And she looked at me and said, "it means you're fully dilated, you're ready to have a baby!"

No shame here, I started crying right away. I looked at Bryan and said, "I just don't think I can do this again!" I apologized to the nurses profusely for being a baby as they wheeled me into this room that didn't look like a delivery room. It was a C-section recovery supply room. It was where all the nurses keep their lunches and purses.

The doctor came, took one look at me, then looked at the nurses and said, "why is she crying?" One of the nurses explained that I was upset (please, I was beyond upset) that I had missed the epidural. Then the doctor cheerfully said, "let's deliver a baby!"

She checked me, looked a bit confused and said, "oh, she's only 3 cm! Looks like you can get your drugs after all!"

Tears instantly stopped. I was so relieved.  Give me the drugs!

Everyone left the room except for one nurse. She told me I had time to go for a walk. I was super hesitant and told her I really didn't want to miss the drugs. She reassured me that I wouldn't. So off I went for 30 minutes before the pain got worse. I came back to the room, where I told the nurse again that I didn't want to miss the drugs. She assured me again that I had time.

Another 30 minutes went by, I asked her how much longer, she told me I'd have to wait because the anesthesiologist was at an emergency C-section. She started paperwork for me and got me an IV. I knew at that point that I had missed it. I started moaning like a cow. I silently begged the baby to stay in, stay in a just a bit longer until I get the drugs and I promised the baby I would promptly push him out.

At 7:14 am, Bryan said I suddenly shouted, "I missed it! I need to push!" I proceed to scream like a banshee. And this is no exaggeration. I screamed as if I was being murdered. The nurse alarmingly asked me what I was feeling. In my head I thought, "I wish I could answer you, but my mouth is just not connecting to my brain and somehow, I cannot shut up!"

2 more nurses came in, told me to calm down. Again, in my head I thought, "I know you want me to calm down, I so wish I could. I so wish I could stop screaming for you, but I have absolutely no control over this terrible scream that even I want to stop!"

One nurse checked and said, "oh, the baby is there. Stop, don't push yet!"

Meanwhile, Bryan had this panicked look on his face, looked at me and said, "it's ok, just calm down!"

Next thing I heard was one of the nurses say "oh, too late"

And there was the baby on top of me. Bryan was so shocked that it was so fast. All of the above happened within 2 minutes.

Alastair Kai Nickel was born on Jul.15/15 at 7:16 am at 6 lbs 4 oz. He was caught by one of the nurses and was delivered in a supply room because the hospital was full that morning. Apparently every baby thought Jul.15 was a great day to be born!

My first words after he was born? "So? Is it a boy?" Throughout this whole pregnancy, despite 2 clear ultrasounds, I couldn't bring myself to believe we were having a boy. Al was super overcooked and came so fast he was super blotchy.

They managed to find me a room around 1 pm. From there, the girls came to visit and it's been amazing ever since. It's hard to believe it's been over a month. I'll write a separate post about what it's been like soon.

If you're read this fast, good for you! Always dramatic over here! Here are a few pics of the little guy :)



Comments

  1. What a great emotional event!! You are a great writer. Definitely could feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!