Two and Three Quarters No More

Dear Bryanna,

Another year came and gone. And I never stop asking myself - how?

This morning, I came downstairs and wished you a happy birthday. You thanked me. Then I put a dress on you, you thanked me again. You seemed extra polite today. Is this what happens when you're 3? You also said, "my heart is pink". You said it with so much love on your face I had to take a picture.


I can barely remember a time before you could speak in full clear sentences. It seemed that you have been talking forever. You always have so much to say and so many stories to tell. Sometimes, your brain works a bit faster than your body and you stutter a bit and it's just the cutest thing to listen to. I know this won't last forever, so for now, I am enjoying those moments when you are super excited about something and can't wait to tell us the entire story.

We put off potty training you because your brother was on his way and I simply didn't have the energy while pregnant to train you. When we finally came around to do it, you took your own sweet time. I should've known that you'd make up your mind when you were ready, because when you did, you were off pull ups completely during the day, naps, and at night. It happened a couple of months ago and I'm so very thankful to not have to buy any more pull ups! (I am sure Auntie Crystal is thankful too!) And getting off the bottle? You only did it when you were ready. And it was about a month before Alastair was born. You asked for a it a few times, but once you were off the bottle, milk no more! I love your ability to move forward and never look back.



Your 2-year molars took forever to come in, In fact, the last two came in just a couple of weeks ago. The last two weeks of you being two! (that's a lot of two in there!)

Your tantrums have gone from 3-4 times a day to about 1 a day or 1 every couple of days. For awhile, I was at a lost on what to do. I didn't know how to teach remorse and I certainly didn't know how to keep the tantrums under control. But your dad and I worked hard to understand you. After a couple of workshops, we made a couple of changes and along with you getting older, you were happier. While you still storm off when you're frustrated, you are now able to express your feelings, "I AM ANGRY!" and you would come back after cooling off and give a sincere apology. You have taught me that my fears are never valid. I have learned what battles to let go. You have always been loving and gentle, it was our job to bring that out of you.



When Alastair was born, I admittedly did not know how you would be with him. Turned out, you are the most gentle soul with him. You were a protector from day 1 and gives him space when he needs it, but gives him love when it was appropriate. You are an amazing big sister.


\
You don't always get along with your big sister, but when you do, you love big! Sure, there are days you beat her up, but mostly, you look up to her and admire her like any little sister would. You've loved moving into the same room with Mack and never argued about being on the bottom bunk. Mostly, you are just happy to have someone in the same room as you. I love watching the two you play. Whether it's dressing up, mommy and baby (you guys have breastfed each other a few times), or reenacting a movie scene (word for word), I could watch you play forever.


You love consistency, which is unexpected from a spunky girl like you! But you thrive on routine and sure loves your purple blanket, unicorn, and your Hello Kitty purse from Grandma Nickel. You love having fun, but never like to be away from home too long. At the end of the day, you are more relieved and peaceful at home. And while that's surprising, I am thankful. I love that you help us balance spontaneity with routine that is often needed in our lives. 




Here's my hope for you Bree - that your fire continues to burn for years to come. That your ability to be persistent and never take no for an answer? I hope that you will never let anyone, not even your mom and dad stop you. I hope that you will become the leader that you already are and combine with that big heart that sometimes we miss. I hope you will always wrap your arms around me and your dad with hugs that mean something. I wish that you will never stop teaching us to be better. Because that is what you've done this past year. We are not the perfect parents, but we sure love being yours. Thank you for choosing us. Thank you for giving us another glorious memorable year. 

I love you Bryanna. Today, you are two and three quarters no more. You are now three. I can't wait to lay with you in bed tonight while you tell me about purple princess and purple cakes and purple everything. I can't wait for you to put your hand on my face while I count my blessings with a little girl that we are all so lucky to know. 

love, mom



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!