Farewell to Mat Leave

It's the night before going back to work. A part of my heart aches a little bit knowing I will be spending less time with them from here on. Mostly though, my heart is just so full. I'm grateful for what the last year has brought.

When I first started this mat leave, I knew for sure at around the 3-4 month mark, I would ask to go back to work. Sure enough, around Christmas time, I talked to one of my previous managers about going back part time. Then I didn't hear anything back. So I left it. And am grateful I did. 

This was the mat leave where it would be the last time all 3 kids would be in the house at the same time. This coming September, Mack is going to kindergarten. 

This past year, we've gone on camping trips, Great Wolf Lodge, drove to Edmonton, many many beach days/evenings, and just a ton of outings as a family. We have been blessed that Bryan is around during the day. We were spoiled not only because we got to spend the entire year together, but also because we had so much support around us at preschool, daycare, and my mom so that we still got one on one time with each kid. And we managed to have a few date nights in between plus social outings with friends at least once a week.

With all the chaos this past month and not being as present with the kids as we should have been, I vowed that I would not waste any more energy worrying about things that are not in my control. Especially not on the last day of my mat leave!

Today was the perfect ending to my mat leave. These 3 right here, these 3 have made the past year the best mat leave ever. 




Mackenzie, Bryanna, and Alastair - this past year, you have shown me that it really does take a village. And we should all count our lucky stars for the village we have. They are the most wonderful people who have the biggest hearts. 

I've learned that experiences far exceeds things. I've learned that being present in the moment means everything. This past year, we created so many incredible moments together. 

While my days with the kids will be different, I know that I will cherish our quality time that much more. No matter how frustrating bed time might be, I know I will close the door with a grateful heart because one day, I will miss that one more goodnight kiss and hugs from the kids.

Farewell, mat leave. You were good to me. This will be the last. But certainly not the last of the many adventures we will continue from here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!