Goodbye Woodgrove House

I remember the first time I walked through the house. I had just turned 13 and had moved from Hong Kong to Delta for just about 6 months. I walked into what would be my future room, took one look at it and told my mom, "the walls are an awful color, this can be Kelly's room."

Of course, at 13, I didn't realize that a coat of paint would solve the ugly room problem. I painted it greyish blue and problem solved. That room would later become Kelly's, then Mackenzie's, and Mackenzie's and Bryanna's.



When you go from living in a tiny little apartment to living in a house, you learn to appreciate space. And this house was huge! I loved the duck wallpaper plastered all over the games room (which still stands today). It would be where we set up the computer where we played a lot of tetris and Doom. It would take a few more years before my mom finally gave in to the world of internet.



This house hosted a lot of birthday parties, games nights, and sleepovers for both my sister and me. The famous traffic circle became a great hang out in the middle of the night just down the street on the way to the boat park. My mom attempted to teach me to drive. We drove down to the end of the street, turned back, and she got me driving lessons. I took my sister around the neighborhood and taught her how to drive.

Our house became a revolving door over the years. We've had my mom's friend and son stayed with us, my aunt and cousin for awhile (I long for our Norah Jones/lava lamp room again), and when there was a bus strike, I invited all of our students to stay with us so I could drive them to school. If you were invited over, you knew I wouldn't ever offer you anything. You just make yourself at home and take whatever you needed.



22 years. In the 22 years, my mom raised 2 girls in this house. I in turn raised 3 kids in this house. You'll hear me rant on about how much I will miss walking to Starbucks and Safeway and 7/11 and the downer. I will go on about how much the kids have come to love the neighbors. But in truth, this house has meant so much more than that.

This house was the constant of our lives. When I moved away to Edmonton and bought our own place, the Woodgrove house was always called home. One woman made this possible. And this one woman is of course, my mom.



23 years ago, a single mother of 2 moved her family across the world. She moved not knowing a single thing about cooking. We endured countless non-edible meals including mushrooms boiled in milk and water (cream of mushroom soup if you will). There were countless fights (including one where she threw a dictionary across the room), but countless laughters too (Mama Chan moments are the best). All of our friends came to know mom as the woman who makes no sense. If you wanted to get on her good side, you knew to get her ice cream with nuts. My mom showed us that you can shine under any circumstances. She instilled in us that we were the best of the best. (Of course they should hire you! You are the best, I just know it!) She managed to pay off the house, pay off all debts, pay off her car, buy an investment property all on her own within 15 years. She taught us the value of family and sticking together through chaos. This woman was the reason Woodgrove was called home.

And this is why saying goodbye is so bittersweet.


Today marks the day that we hand over the keys. It's the day we leave the old behind and start a new chapter together in a new house.

Dear Woodgrove House - you have been good to us. Thank you for 22 years worth of memories. Thank you for enduring us through the ups and the downs. Sometimes we appreciated you more than others, and you stood strong there no matter what. Very much like Mama Chan no? We will remember you always and hope the next owner will love you as much as we have.


Comments

  1. Carly, I loved your story! Best wishes to you all in your new home. You will continue to make those special memories their. I miss your mama Chan stories too! Congrats on your new home.
    Neena

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!