Year in Review - 2018

Those who know me know I follow Numerology loosely. When 2018 hit, I fully expected year 7 to hit me like the last year 7 I experienced in 2009. I thought internally I would feel a shift and become a hermit. But January rolled around and I was my usual social self. No huge spiritual enlightenment, no sudden spiritual growth. I was running around, making sure everything was running smoothly with the household. It was as if the Universe was watching from afar and laughing silently. Because April 12 came and bam!

So much has happened this year. Here's my Year in Review for 2018! (in no particular order)

10.) Fostering dogs

It was as if having 3 kids and a dog wasn't enough work, we (ok, I) decided it'd be a good idea to start fostering dogs this winter! I mean, why not right? But gosh, they were such a blessing. It gave us a glimpse of just how gentle Charlie can be and gave the kids a sense of what giving homeless dogs a temporary home means. We fostered Levi who was the absolute perfect gentleman and he was adopted by a couple in Victoria. And Amber who peed all over the house no matter how hard we tried to train her - she was adopted by a lovely family from the girl's school. It's never easy to say goodbye, but it sure expanded our hearts bigger having them in our lives!








9.) Three kids in school!

I'm not sure how this happened, but all 3 kids are in school! Al started preschool this fall and Bree and Mack are in K and Grade 2. Al loves school and loves his teachers. His best friend at school is named Aiden. Mackenzie has the same teacher she had in K and she is thriving in French. Bree has separation anxiety and has made such huge progress from September. There's still crying and reluctance of going, but she has made great friends and she is excelling in French more than I anticipated! These 3 sure aren't babies anymore!






8.) Makeover Contest

Around the summer, I decided to enter the Garnier/Rogers contest for a makeover. When I got a call in August that I won, I was shocked! I ended up getting 2 nights at an amazing hotel in Vancouver, a hair makeover, a new wardrobe ($500 at the Bay where I got 12 pieces!), and money for food. If it has taught me anything, it was not only about taking time for myself, but FEELING good about spending money and time on me. It was glorious and I was so grateful I got to meet some amazing ladies along the way.


7.) Visiting new family

Those who know us know that Bryan doesn't have family that he keeps in touch with. (That's another story y'all - another time) This summer, we took a road trip to Alberta and got to meet Bryan's niece and her kids (and husband who has the same birthday as me because we're awesome)! They were so welcoming and my heart was so so full to see our kids forming a relationship with Bryan's side of the family. Trish and Kevin - thank you for welcoming us into your home and thank you for the all night chats about everything!


6.) My work

When I had to be off work for 2.5 months, one of my colleagues offered to donate her vacation days to me. My manager was super kind and compassionate and made sure my family was taken cared of. My job is nothing extraordinary, but people I work with sure fill my heart. Sure, we all work from home and see each other maybe 3-4 times a year, but every time I see them, we greet each other with big smiles and big hugs. I sure am blessed with such a great work family!


5.) Mom's long service award
I already wrote this long post about Mama Chan on her birthday. I feel appropriate to just cut and paste on what a great woman she is and how much I admire her:

"So back in Sept, my mom got her long service award for working for the provincial government for 25 years. She was glowing the whole time, and it was just the cutest thing to see. We spent the whole day together and she was recounting all the things that have happened in our lives.
When we moved to Canada 25 years ago, my mom took any job she could get. It was recession, so jobs were hard to come by. She was working with someone who was awful, and she didn't like her job at all. Then one day, one of her friends referred her to work with one of the lawyers at the government no one got along with. My mom jumped at the chance.
They offered her the job on Nov.28 and told her to start on Nov.29. Was that ok? My mom hesitated. Yes, anything to provide for her kids.
And that's how my mom started. 25 years ago, on her birthday, she sacrificed a special day that was supposed to be just for her so she can give us the best life we could have.
And the best life we got. If you know Mama Chan, you know she can be crazy and illogical, and sometimes even an HR nightmare. But she is hardworking. She is devoted to people she loves. She will pretend to not want to give, but really, I am a giver because my mother gives everything she has to her friends. I am so so blessed to call this woman my mom. And my kids sure are lucky to have a grandma whose love is beyond ridiculous."

I'm so grateful my mom asked me to go to the awards day with her. And am grateful that she chose this life to be my mom to teach me a whole load of stuff no one else could.



4.) Summer

I was a bit anti-social after my hospital stint. But still managed to go on 4 camping trips and one 20-year high school reunion. I know what you guys are all thinking, 20 years? We don't look it right?! (wink wink)

There were a couple trips I really didn't want to go on, but in the end, glad we went. Deception Pass was incredible and it's always amazing to spend time with our friends. Thank you for pushing me even when I wanted to stay home. Thank you for also giving me space when I needed it.



3.) Great Wolf Lodge

This year, I went away a lot - from work to my makeover to different courses I was taking. Mackenzie certainly noticed and said to us one day, "next time you win a contest, do you think we can come with you so we can spend time as a family?"

Bryan immediately went online and booked us a trip to Great Wolf Lodge for 3 nights. No one else, just us. And it was perfect. There were stressful moments, sure. And the fire alarm went off at 11 pm on our last night. But gosh, we sure did spend some awesome time together as a family. Our kids cried when we surprised them the night before the trip. It may not have been Disneyland, but we made some pretty great memories at Great Wolf Lodge this year!


2.) Spiritual Journey

Those who know me know I've dabbled here and there with spiritual stuff like Numerology, Astrology, tarot and oracle cards, energy healing, and so on.

This summer, I started taking courses to build on what I already have in my tool box. One course turned into the next and in 2018, I ended up taking 7 courses! What better time to finally launch a new business as an energy healer and spiritual reader/coach. I am so grateful for some soul sisters I've met along the way this year. Thank you for your encouragement and confirmation on my path. I am so so excited to see what 2019 has in store!


1.) Hospital

Last but not least, of course, is my big stint at the hospital in April.

Sounds so cliche - a near death experience changes your life. But that's the truth. I've learned:
-That my village is fucking amazing.
You guys all came together and brought my family meals, gift cards, child care and cleaning. Even those who have never met us before (you know who you are) made sure that everyone was taken cared of. Even when I said no, my best friend flew out from Edmonton anyway to support my family. You guys even bought my kids activities to keep them occupied while I was away. You taught me to lean on my village when I needed help. You sure taught me the law of receiving in 2018!
-Healthcare workers are amazing
I mean, I knew that already, but me almost dying really solidified it for me. You may wonder if I believe in Western medicine and the answer is yes! Just because I practice energy healing, does not mean I discount modern medicine in any way. Without these amazing people who fought for me when I couldn't, I know I wouldn't be here today.
-The Universe will teach you
I mean, I was running around knowing I needed to take a breath. But I didn't. So what happened? The Universe made me take a pause (ok, a long pause) to not only learn to take care of myself, but also the time and quietude to reflect on my feelings. You guys, we sure suck at feeling sad sometimes. We are so so good at avoiding. I promise if you take a few minutes to feel sad, you'll realize it's not as shitty as you imagined it to be.
-Bryan is my hero
Ok, I always knew he was. But man, he handled this whole thing way better than I ever could have. He managed to take care of the family, but also continued to run his business while I was in bed recovering. Sure, he had a lot of help. But he didn't crumble or complain once. And guys, he has narcolepsy! How did he do it? I don't know!
-And so much more
I don't think there's enough room here to write out all that I've learned. Most importantly, I want you to know that at the end of your life, you will not regret things you didn't do. Not really anyway. You won't be thinking about that trip you wish you had taken, or the ten pounds you didn't lose. What you will be thinking about? It's whether you've been a good friend, good wife/daughter/mom/sister, and if you've been a kind and good person.
When they say don't sweat the small stuff? They really mean don't sweat the small stuff. Or even big stuff really. Just choose to be your best self every day. That is all we can do. And if you feel like you haven't today, guess what? You can choose again tomorrow.



New and old friends - thank you for being a part of my 2018. Cheers to another amazing year.

-Carly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!