Reflecting on 2011.

I'm always so amused on New Year's Eve. To know that the new year is only a day away. And as you count down, you just feel a sense of sadness of time slipping away, but at the same time, a sense of excitement of a new beginning. It's a bit of a paradox, don't you think?

So this New Year's was no exception. As Bryan and I laid in bed counting down "5, 4, 3, 2, 1", I had that same sense of "oh, I can't believe 2011 is over!" but as we said, "Happy New Year!" there was certainly that excitement of "I wonder what 2012 will bring?"

Bryan and I were having dinner New Year's Eve and recounted our top 10 moments in 2011. Here we go!

10.) Pregnancy - the last half of my pregnancy was wonderful. As you  may recall, I called myself the champion pregnant woman. Every doctor's visit was good, I gained 12 lbs, and I had so much energy that I managed to move at week 38 and be in a wedding at week 39.

9.) My amazing friends in Edmonton - they all took turn to come over to our house to help pack, throw stuff out, took stuff away, and CLEANED. You guys are amazing. Simply wonderful. I've never seen so much serving at once. You guys saved us. I'm humbled. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

8.) Moving from Edmonton to Vancouver - For 8 years I've dreamt of this moment, but it was always an armslength away. I never thought Vancouver could be home again. I anticipated a lot of obstacles along the way once we made the decision the move. But once again, God proved me wrong. There's a certain comfort being with my family again. I had forgotten how amazing it was to have them around until I was here again.

7.) Amanda's wedding - I've known Amanda since 1994. Being able to be there for my best friend's wedding was priceless. When I first got pregnant, I was afraid I wouldn't make it. Not only did the move all work out in the end, but baby Mack held off in coming early. She looked absolutely beautiful that day and I was so so honored to be part of it. Not to mention it was some of the best food I've ever had at a wedding! (Oh, the lamb!)

6.) Bryan being at home - I remember when I married Bryan, I told him I didn't want us to have kids until we both could be stay at home parents. We went ahead and decided to have a baby anyway when it didn't seem possible that it would happen anytime soon. And then what happened? Bryan's employer has been amazing. I love the flexibility he has and having Bryan home has been a Godsend.

5.) Going to Utah to visit Brandon and his family - after knowing Brandon for 2 years, it was about time that we got to meet his family. Being surrounded by 5 of the most wonderful kids I've ever met was an experience I'll never forget. Not to mention shooting guns and going through slot canyons - I had an amazing time there and learned so many lessons!

4.) Baby Addison - 2 babies in a year? Addison has been an amazing addition to the family. I love that she's a constant reminder to me on how quickly babies grow. I love that our family went from having 1 kid (can't believe Audrey isn't a baby anymore!) to 3!

3.) Church - this one is a long story. If you told me a year ago that we would have some amazing church friends and have unlimited babysitters for life, I wouldn't have believed you. I love the people, love what we learn, and I simply love our church. It's been amazing.

2.) My mommy's group - I'm not sure words can express exactly how I feel about my mommy's group. I remember when I first moved back to Vancouver, I told myself I wasn't going to make that many friends (I'm not sure why I think that every year!) and how I wouldn't start another facebook group. I kept waiting and waiting for someone to take the reins, and when one of the mommies took charge and organized a movie-outing, I thought, it's time we need a group to do more things like this! And here we are. They have been such an amazing group of women who truly support each other. I seriously love each of the babies and mommies. I love watching them grow and I look forward to our playdates every week! I hope 2012 will mean getting to know them more. I'm so blessed to have new friends!

1.) No doubt about it, number one was definitely Mackenzie! What can I say? God gave me 9 months to prepare for a baby. But never in those 9 months did I ever imagine it would be like this. I anticipated all the challenges, the sleepless nights, and the crying. But I never ever thought it would be this perfect. No matter how a day goes wrong, I'm always grounded by my daughter. She has taught me so much already, I am almost a little afraid of what is to come! Mackenzie being born made it to my top 5 moments in my life. I would write more here, but I'm saving it for her first birthday :) For now, let's just say that 2011 will always be marked by her. Could I ask for more?

There you go, top 10 of 2011. What were your tops last year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!