Another Milestone

Haven't written in awhile. Mostly because I have nothing interesting to write.

Aside from Mackenzie being the most active baby on earth getting into EVERYTHING, climbing up the stairs, having a wrestling match on every diaper change, really, nothing is new.

Until this past weekend when she decided to take her first 3 steps.

Of course, she hasn't walked on demand since. She's taken a step here and there, but not walking full time yet.

But I know it's coming, which means our not so peaceful days are about to become even more chaotic!

Mackenzie has a new napping schedule, which basically means we're stuck in the house for the mornings. Which means we miss quite a bit of activities. On days when I'm going bonkers, I would push that limit, but I always regret it later. Because it would mean having only one nap instead of two. Seriously, this being a parent thing is never boring. The kid sure knows how to change it up to keep me on my toes.

Went to weigh her yesterday where I was sure she was about 17 lbs. Only to find out she lost 6 oz in 3 weeks and back down to 16 lbs. Seriously? Who did she get this metabolism from? I can tell you, it isn't from me nor her dad!

About a month ago, I went on one of the forums I used to visit when I was preggo with all the April mommies. And I found out one of the babies died of SIDS at 9 months. I didn't tell anyone. I couldn't. I knew if I told my mom, she would freak out every night. I knew if I told my mommy friends, they would be worrying about their own babies. So mostly, I freaked out on my own for a few days. And of course, counted my blessings along the way. It's just so crazy because I got over worrying about SIDS at about 5/6 months or so. And even though I know they're not completely out of the woods until about a year old, I guess I could just never imagine any babies at 9 months not making it.

And that's life. It reminds me of Steve Job's quote once: "death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is the way it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life."

It's a great perspective, no question about it. It's something I believe and live by. The challenge is to remember that when hard times hit. And I'm not sure if I have enough character in me to remember this. Which is why I am writing this down, just incase. You just never know when I'll need to read this in the future.

I think the interesting thing is that while I might be worried about SIDS now, there are a slew of things I'll be worried about in years to come. And that's what it's all about being a parent.

The reward? Makes it all worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!