A Year in Review - 2014

It's hard to believe that a year ago, I was so relieved that 2013 was over and looked forward to a brighter better year ahead. 2013, without a doubt, was a challenging year that I was happy to say goodbye to. How different 2014 had been!

This past year has been full of surprises. I am hardly the same person I was when January 1 started in 2014. There's been a lot of growth, in all areas of my life. I am grateful, grateful for the opportunity and grateful for the people in my life who supported me along the way. Here's a recap of my top 10 of 2014 in no particular order:

10.) Mack and Bree - These 2. Don't get me wrong, they sure have their sibling moments where they yank each other by the hair, push each other down, and scream in each other's faces. But man, the moments of sibling love far surpasses the challenging moments. Some days I wish I could bottle up that love so I can remember it always. Some days I desperately want to hold on to that love in case it ever evaporates. I'm not sure if I have to worry though. They just love each other so darn much! And in all honesty, I can probably learn a thing or two from their love. It is absolutely unconditional for each other without judgements. We can all use more of that, no?



9.) Mama Chan - I wish I could sometimes bottle up the love Mama Chan has for the girls and vice versa. When we started living with mom 3 years ago, I never imagined that it would be like this. That after seeing each other every day from the moment they were born, they would still love each other as if they haven't seen each other in years. They always greet each other with excitement and sad when they find out that grandma isn't going somewhere with us. It really is the cutest thing. #theirloveisridiculous was my favorite hashtag of 2014!



8.) Baby Quinn - the much anticipation of the arrival of Baby Quinn happened in September and it definitely made it to my top 10! New babies are always awesome, it's even more awesome when it's your best friend's new baby. I was so glad I got to go to the baby shower and see the baby when she was only 3 weeks old! Baby cuddles are the best :)



7.) Daycare - without a doubt, our year was kept sane as always by our daycare. This year we were blessed to have Crystal and Zoe to look after the girls. At one point, the girls were at daycare full time and it was an adjustment for all of us. It was easier to let go because of the amazing people that these women are. I honestly do not know how they manage to not drink at the end of every day!

6.) Mommy Group - I don't think I can go a year without this group being on my top 10. They have been the most supportive group throughout my challenges this year and I am grateful to belong to a group without judgements. 3 years later, we are still getting together once a month, we still have wild parties with the kidlets. This year, we even managed to have an adult night out (where cartwheels happened at midnight and where we went down the slide after a few shots...) and the boys even had a daddy's night out! I had hoped for a great group, and we got so much more. Thank you ladies and gents, I feel like thank you is just not enough!



5.) Camping Trip - With the group comes our yearly camping trip. This year there were 21 kids and 23 adults. We managed to only have one incident where sand got into a 3-year old's eye and we had to use an eye wash station. Overall, the kids AND adults had a great time that we'll be doing it again next year with a 3-day trip! It was an epic camping trip to be remembered for sure. And hoping a tradition that will continue for years to come :)



4.) First Day of Preschool - It's hard to believe our baby is old enough for preschool this year. School has made it that much more apparent that Mackenzie is an introvert. A people person for sure, but an introvert nonetheless. She's had nothing but amazing things to say about teacher Lori and teacher Marrion. Not to mention the friends she's made so far. We have been blessed to be able to go to a parent participation school where we go in and get to know all the kids. It's been wild and we look forward to another 6 months ahead.



3.) Edmonton - although it was unfortunate circumstances that brought us to Edmonton, it was a much needed trip. We hadn't be back there since Mackenzie was 16 months. Although there were lots of tears and heavy hearts, I am grateful that Bryan's family got to meet Mack and Bree (even for a brief period). I hardly recognized Kaylynn and my heart was full when I saw the kids hug their sister. The trip would not have been possible without the Jayes who so graciously took us in for the whole week! A house with 4 crazy kids? Heck yes! It was the best!



2.) Lisa - this year started off where I was so lost. There were days I really had no idea if I would make it another day. Through a lot of tears, a lot of chats, and sometimes a few philosophical arguments, Lisa and I had some soul baring sessions and came out completely new spiritual people. I would like to say a book changed our lives, but in truth, we changed each other. She is my constant reminder that love is all there is. Thank you my friend for being my soul mate in 2014! I love you!

1.) Bryan - last year this time, Bryan and I had no idea where this year would lead. Would we separate? Or would we stay together? It was the acceptance of the unknown that helped us through the most challenging times. If there was ever a time for unconditional love, it was through the period where we really thought we would not be together forever. I have never loved this man more. And we came out the other side stronger and more committed than we had ever been. Bryan is the true definitely of unconditional love. If there is one thing I want our children to get from Bryan, it's that unwavering love. Seriously, are you friends with him? It's time. I promise you will not regret it, and I promise you will learn a thing or two about love and serving from this incredible human being. Thank you Bryan for showing me that I was whole when I thought I was broken. Thank you for showing me there's no formula for relationships, and that sometimes, letting go could be the best thing about love. I love you!



2014 was a life changing year for me. I cannot wait to see what 2015 holds. Thank you for being there for me last year. I can only hope I can be what you've all been for me this coming year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!