Happy Birthday Bree!

Dear Bryanna,



I'm sitting here with another 54 minutes to go until you are no longer a one-year old. Some days you seem so much older than you are, and some days I feel like I treat you younger than you are. And that's the joy of being the youngest (for now) you know?

This past year has gone by so much quicker than I anticipated. I'm pretty sure I blinked through most of your milestones. When you turned one, I'm pretty sure you had a total of 4 teeth. I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere in between you sprouted another 12 without me noticing. (Who am I kidding, you made us notice every one!) I really don't remember when it happened.



Not much has changed in your personality. You are very independent. You learned to feed yourself way before I expected you to. You simply will not let us hold anything for you if you can manage on your own. You will however, ask for help when you need it. And that's possibly the most important of all. I think a lot of us are too afraid to ask for help, but you are strong enough to do so. I hope you'll always carry that with you.

You are, by far, one of the most charming people I have ever met. You manage to get yourself into trouble as quickly as you get out of them. I'm not sure how you do that. Maybe it's that smile of yours (you definitely have the Chan smile), or maybe it's that laugh of yours (oh man, that belly laugh gets us every time), or maybe you are simply very persuasive. You will not take no for an answer. Sometimes I dread it, but sometimes I admire it. Too often in life, we take no as rejection and end the journey right there. But not you, you insist until you get a yes.



With so much determination, everyone would expect you to be maybe a bit rough around the edges. You are perhaps the most loving sister I have ever met. Every time, and I mean every time you ask for a vitamin, you never fail to also ask for one for Mack. At first, I thought it was a trick to get two for yourself. But you never keep them for yourself. You always run to your sister with glee to share the joy. The way you love your bigger sister is just heart melting. There's no doubt that you can take her down with a push (you can take down kids twice your size), but mostly, you look up to her like any little sister would.

You are a grandma lover. I can't tell if it's because you truly love her, or because of her treats! You wake up in the morning, go up to grandma, take her by the hand and go, "c'mon Po Po! C'mon!" Then you proceed to take her to the kitchen to show her whatever it is your heart desires that day. And luckily, your grandma gladly obliges. You know when you are in trouble, she will be there to rescue you. I have a feeling that will go on for life. You are lucky to have someone like her by your side!

You are a talker. Signing was never your thing and you stopped just after you were a year. You talk way more than I ever remembered Mackenzie did. Your vocabulary is great, and we're working on speaking more clearly now! You have stories to tell and we can't wait to hear them all!

When you make up your mind about something, there is no getting you off track. So there are a few things we had trouble with. Like getting you off the soother. That was a long 3-day battle that we thought would never end. But once it did, phew! You slept so well!

And then there is the bottle. Oh, you are still taking it! You will not let that one go. In fact, you were on formula until you were 22 months! I was shocked! It is your comfort every day when you get up and when you go to bed. And especially comforting when you are in trouble. I am not exactly sure how potty training or getting you in a big girl's bed will go. Please be gentle with us, ok?

Traditional discipline hardly works with you. Time outs, take aways, rewards - those are hit and miss. Most days, you do get away with a lot more than your sister did. And perhaps that's what you have taught me the most - that I simply cannot parent or treat you and your sister the same. One thing might fit for one, but not the other. I have to treat you both as individuals. I hope I have done that enough. I hope I have done that right.

This year has gone by all too fast. We have been lucky that you are still a cuddler. Your bed time routine consists of a book and always a song (Que Sera Sera seems to be a favorite right now) and then a quick cuddle. It's the calmest time of the day. It's the time I cherish most when I do put you to bed. I know it won't be long before those cuddles are gone. Oh baby girl, enjoy the ride, will you? Stay 2 for longer than 1, ok?

This coming year, you will see some big changes. You are about to become a big sister and you are very excited. You seem to think you're about to get a baby sister and says good night to her every night. It is sweet, and it is cute. I have no doubt in my mind that you will be as gentle with her as you are with people you cherish most.

For now, let's relish in the fact that you are still the youngest for another 6 months. For now, let's celebrate that you have graduated from being a baby to a toddler. Let's not rush this process.

I love you Bree. I love you more than my heart could hold. Happy Birthday baby girl. Here's to another amazing year. Here's to more lessons you are about to teach me.



Love, mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!