Week 6 - Test Results

There's nothing quite like getting test results back. Mackenzie had her hearing test at the hospital 12 hours after she was born and she didn't pass it. They say it's common. Probably because there was still fluid in her ears and such. So we had to wait 6 weeks before they would retest her. Not that I was ever worried that she would be hard of hearing, and even if so, we would embrace it, but you know, the unknown is never really comfortable.

They also did a PKU (a test where they poke the baby's foot for blood and test of different diseases) at the hospital. They say we will only hear from them if the test came back abnormal. Well, we heard from them.

Mackenzie's cystic fibrosis test came back inconclusive. The doctor said that didn't mean she had it. It just meant that it came back umm...inconclusive. She told us not to worry (and not to cry). I wasn't all that worried, until she told us not to. We had to go for another PKU.

So with two tests up in the air - we wait.

Turned out, Mackenzie is a carrier of cystic fibrosis, but she doesn't have it. It just means that if she was to marry someone who is also a carrier, the chances of their children having CF would be 25%. It's not like Mackenzie is going to go out on a date and go, "Are you a CF carrier? Yes? Well, this date is over!" Whatever will be will be!

Had the hearing test earlier this week. Well, this girl can hear!

So double sigh of relief.

One thing I've learned about being a mom is that you really have to go with the flow. I'm lucky in that I've always been that kind of person. Still, it's still something I have to work on everyday. This kid teaches me something new everyday, which I suppose will go on umm...for the rest of my life.

We're moving today! I will update you on that a little later. It's a rainy day here in Vancouver...of course! Wish us luck :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!