Week 16 - Best Mom/Grandma in the World

I was reading back some of my blog posts, and well, some of you might think my mom is just plain crazy.

And she is.

She still has her days where she thinks Mack is dying from cying. She still panicks when Mackenzie's face turns read from wailing on top of her lungs. She told us to feed her eye yolk once a week when she turned 3 months because that would decrease chances of allergies. (There's no proof of this scientifically at all. But we did it anyway, because well....just incase)

But I think that's just what grandmas do.

I probably don't give my mom enough credit though. She is more than the silly stories you hear from me.

When Bryan and I decided to move back to Vancouver, my mom took both of us in, no questions asked. She even took in our cat Lilo, even though she already had 3 at the time (as I write, she's down to 1 plus my cat. It was tragic, and timing was horrible). And when we moved, she didn't freak out like I thought she might. Even to this day, 2 months later, she would have us over for dinner every night if she could.

We still go back home about 3-4 times a week for dinner. Do I mind it? Not one bit. Sure, it's awesome to have my mom cook dinner every night for us. But the best part is that it makes my heart melt every time I watch my mom's eyes light up when she sees Mackenzie. She misses her even if we just saw her the previous night. I love that Mackenzie has a grandma who speaks crazy Chinglish to her. I love that when I go grocery shopping with my mom, she still offers to pay (I don't let her anymore). And when I offer to pay for her groceries, she outright refuses. She's dying to buy Mackenzie a big gift, and when I told her our next big item is a high chair, she jumped at the chance to buy it.

Seriously, as much as my mom can be whacky sometimes (if you missed her crazy yet hilarious stories - you can read the numerous posts I have written previously), she really is the best mom and grandma in the world.

The other day, I asked her if she would watch Mackenzie for an afternoon.

Mom: No, I can't.
Me: Why not?
Mom: Because when she cries, I don't know what to do. And you'll be too far away to come home quickly.

Me: So when will you ever babysit?
Mom: When she's older.
Me: What does older mean?
Mom: When she can tell me what's wrong.

Sure, I have a mom who won't babysit for us until our baby is 5 years old (ok, I'm exaggerating), but in the Nickel family, we can't get enough of her!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!