First Christmas, Time Out, and Birthday

It's my 31st birthday today. So far we've had a 4 am wake, puke in my mouth, and seriously the biggest poop I've ever seen so far (from Mackenzie that is...I'll let you know how mine goes later :p). It's been eventful to say the least. And it's only 10 am. What will the afternoon bring?

I remember last year how my 30th birthday wasn't a big deal at all. I was so busy being pregnant that I didn't really care about my birthday. Turned out, it's not that much different once the baby is out. Somehow, birthdays just aren't as exciting as it used to be. I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older, or because I have a kid now.

Although I did have a mini freak out about how old I'm becoming. I've gotten so used to being 30 that 31 crept up really really fast. I think I'm supposed to feel older, but I swear I still feel like I'm 21. And I don't mean energy-wise. I feel like I have the maturity of a 21-year-old. And that's worrisome. I'm supposed to act grown up, but I'm not! Will I ever feel my age?

Well, first Christmas came and gone. It's weird to read back to last year's blog post and I wrote about how weird it would be a year from then that we would have an 8-month old. I really didn't comprehend what it was going to be like then.

Mackenzie's first Christmas, and of course she was spoiled! We put her under the tree with all the presents, and somehow, she managed to find all of her presents and chewed on them. How the heck did she know which ones were hers?! And with all the excitment in the house, she must've felt the energy, because she missed 2 of her 3 naps that day. I fully anticipated a melt down by the evening, but she was totally ok enjoying the scene and playing with her new toys.

With her being fully mobile now, we're starting to teach Mackenzie "no" and her boundaries. We have our trigger words (off limits!) and we even implemented time outs. I'm not exactly sure when you're supposed to start, but figured we may as well start now into a habit. She may not understand the concept yet, but she knows time outs are not good, because she cries for the whole 40 seconds she's there.

Now that Mackenzie is getting older, we're putting some of the tools we've learned in the past 2 years to use. I started giving her choices from day 1, and still trying my best to make a habit of it. And we're trying to teach her that we have a no whining rule. It's crazy to think about teaching that to an 8-month old, but you know what? They're so much smarter than we give them credit for.

And that's what scary you know? That they can be this smart at 8 months. What does that mean for the future?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

And Here He Is...

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!