Dear Doctor's Receptionist

So, yesterday I came home and there was a message from the doctor’s office. And it said, “Hi Carly, this is Cathy calling from Dr. Hoskin’s office. If you can give us a call after 9 am tomorrow and ask to speak to Jen, she will explain this message to you.”

Umm…I FREAKED.

I had a blood/urine test on the weekend. I think one is to test chlamydia and one is to test sugar levels or something.

I was convinced I had chlamydia. I was convinced I’ve had it for the last 8 years and didn’t even know it.

Bryan said I was overreacting (I didn’t even scream or yell. I just looked perplexed. How is that overreacting?!?!). I gave him the death look and proceeded to text my friend Anita who used to work at a medical clinic.

A few texts for your entertaining pleasure:

“They wouldn’t leave me a message unless something was wrong, right?!?!?!”
“You can tell me the truth – something is wrong. I may as well prepare me for it!”

I mean, what is she going to say? Of course they wouldn’t call unless something was wrong. She did her best to tell me all the other scenarios this could be. Like I was suffering a UTI for a couple of days, so maybe they detected that. (I argued that it wasn’t on the requisition to test for UTI) It could be that they need more urine samples, that happens all the time. (Still not convinced) Eventually, she just had to tell me to stop worrying since I won’t know for 16 hours what was going on anyway.

Thank God I had my doppler and I immediately found a heartbeat to make sure the baby was ok. So logically I knew it wasn’t anything life threatening or they’d tell me to go to the hospital. Emotionally is another story.

Even though I make it out to be so much more dramatic than it was. I actually only freaked out for about 20-30 minutes. Then Bryan took me out to a friend’s house to watch a hockey game. I was distracted enough that by the time I came home, I just went straight to bed because I was so tired.

This morning promptly at 9 am, I called the doctor’s office. Their phone line wasn’t opened yet. I called at 9:06, busy. Busy busy busy for another 3 minutes. I finally got through and was on hold for 10 minutes. FINALLY spoke to Jen.

“Hi Carly, this is Jennifer. The reason why we called you (in as caring of a voice as she could) was because your urine test came back with a UTI. So I have a prescription for you. Tell me which pharmacy to send it to and we’ll do that right now.”

Dear Doctor’s office:

Please do not ever leave a mysterious message like that for me again. Especially during my pregnancy. Especially when you said on the requisition that you were going to test for and STD and sugar in my blood. I was convinced I was infected or that I had diabetes (I had pictures of me sticking a needle in myself for the next 6 months). There’s no logic when you’re pregnant, and you should know that. You guys work with pregnant women EVERY DAY. And don’t tell me that I’m the nuttiest of them all, because I’ve seen it on the internet. There are far crazier women than me out there. For the sake of not only my sanity, but for all pregnant women out there – please do not create unnecessary heart attacks again. Thank you.

As we speak, Bryan is picking up the prescription for me. I am looking forward to some relief from my UTI. I was going to go to the doctor’s today anyway you know.

Comments

  1. Glad to know you were going to go today anyway....3 days later!!!! Next time you get a uti please promise me you're going to go to the doc right away!!!! Or I will come hunt you down and drag you there myself.

    Your loving and caring friend
    Anita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humbled by a Contest

Dear Mackenzie

Week 36 - Almost Cooked!